You play as Cindy Brock a goblin girl trying to save the music filled city, SoundCrest; from a mysterious WhiteNoise that has taken over and infecting the inhabitants turning them into evil and twisted altered versions of themselves. it's now up to Cindy to find the source of the white noise and destroy before all the music in SoundCrest is gone forever. I was one of the artists, which change to the Lead designer and assistant producer during the team development. when the team decided to put a pause on the project, I tried to continue it in my own verion by myself. for more info read the development cycle below.
When starting off the development of the game, we had the idea that this game; be a rhythm side-scrolling game. The intended goal during the initial development was a part of the art team. I worked on developing some textures and enemy types as well. The enemy in charge was the flying enemy I called Tri-Note; its purpose was to send sonic shockwaves at the player by hitting itself. The Character design was that of a robotic Triangle that could be made more adaptable given the type of boss in control of the area. But when we needed a team to help organize the story, I took up the mantle as a lead narrative director. We came up with many ideas for the level and the type of bosses that have altered personalities. We designed different levels with unique traits that fit their bosses' theme, but we had one constant problem that made the current development grow close to being abandoned. The time it took to develop this game started in June 2021- 2022. the original members were dropping out and wanted nothing more than to follow their career paths. With only a few of us left, we decided to quit as well. I wanted to try and revive this concept; since I was by myself, I had to figure out what I wanted my version of the game to be and how O could make it successful.
Second Solo Development
after some reworking of the first development of the game, lead me to understand a bit more of how the corgi engine work and whats my next steps. first i had to figure out what happen with the camera, the pluse side with the development i was able to give my characters better animations show they would be move and function more symbiotic with the players input. and i was able to create a more better way for the player to get damage by allowing the player
First Solo Development
When retesting the original game, I found it more difficult and challenging for some players, it made me question what features I wanted to see instead since I was working by myself. I thought of this game as more similar to MegaMan. With a sense of music focused. To achieve that I wanted to practice creating a type of music-based abilities at first; the idea was to have the background music feel more interactive by connecting a player's actions with the music and allowing those actions to enhance the players to the beat of the music. But unlike the initial game where it includes movement as part of the increase in player's action; (like if you timed your walk at a certain point; it would mean you move faster. But if you didn't time it properly, it would mean you are moving slower.) I found that less enjoyable for the player and that by making it focus more on the player's actions like jumping, attacking, and certain interactions with puzzles. It would lead to much more enjoyable gameplay. So, I started tinkering with the concept, but the first obstacle I had was how to transfer the initial code to this new code version. at first, I planned to use the initial code but proved difficult since it relied on Wwise and I wasn't as experienced with making a game with Wwise as I thought; so, I asked a friend what I should use to help develop the game and he recommended the corgi engine. With the corgi engine in unity to help reorganize my platformer so it can help put the game together; there was still the issue of me being a beginner with the corgi engine. If I wanted to make this a more enjoyable game. I have to fix the current issues in this development like player animations not working correctly, the enemy not attacking, and lack of new assets.
in my final prototype I was able to find the issues that prevented the enemy shooting I also added some new traps that I'm going to add to the rest of the level. I'm planning to continue to work on this level to put more stuff like building more types of enemies and introducing the first boss.